Maryland Looking At Changing Bear Permits

Maryland Dept. Of Natural Resources, Bear Hunting Magazine
03/05/2012

The Maryland Department of Natural Resources is looking at using a new formula for how bear hunting permits are allocated across the state. This could mean about 50% of the permits would be given to those in Allegany and Garrett counties, which is where bear hunting is allowed in Maryland.

Currently, Maryland wildlife officials are looking at giving the first 25% of the bear hunting permits to applicants from the bear hunt zone (those living in Allegany and Garrett counties). Those who are not selected will compete in a drawing for the remaining 75% of the permits.

Residents living in the two counties usually average around 35% of the permits, so with the remaining permits, this could be the total to 50% of the overall permits being given out.

The Maryland DNR is hoping that with more local hunters with better access to private lands where nuisance bears tend to live, hunting would become a more efficient bear management tool.



Go Back